Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Summer of Harry Potter: HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

I've just finished book 3 in my Summer of Harry Potter.  You can read about my experience so far:
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS

It's interesting, because I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous 2 -- and I think it's related to my personal reading preferences for a SIMPLE story. All these names and places -- so, so creative, but just a little too much for my brain to comfortably juggle! I'm still not sure I understand all the twists and turns.

What I DO see is how book 3 proves the depth and breadth of J.K. Rowling's imagination. I mean, the tricks just keep coming: biting books, the Marauder's map, secret passageways, time travel, wizards morphing into animals... and so much more!

What sticks with me about this book is the deepening emotional connection the reader has for Harry. As he learns more about his parents, the more we care about Harry. And when his Patronus ends up being his father in stag form -- well, yes, of course! It's a perfect example of the "unexpected inevitable." Wonderful storytelling.

Once again, my favorite passage comes late in the book and from the mouth of Dumbledore:

"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself most plainly when you have need of him."

What a beautiful thought. I do believe it's true.

No poem today... though I have been writing poems for other purposes. Perhaps I will return to the task at a later date. Right now I'm off to get a start on book 4!

1 comment:

  1. I listened to all of these on audio book, going back and forth to work. Then watched the movies. I love the marauders map. There's more greatness ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?