Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#bookaday Week Six

 THE THICKETY by J.A. White. The first in a series about a girl who is not a princess, no she's not. She's a witch -- and she's busy learning to use her powers. This book brings to mind Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky." A fantastic magical world complete with all sorts of made-up creatures and words. Great fun for the middle-grade fantasy-loving crowd. And did I mention, dark? I'm interested to read what darkness ensues in the second book.

ABSOLUTELY ALMOST by Lisa Graff. This one is my favorite middle-grade so far this year. Albie is adorable. I was reminded of how I felt when I first read WONDER. So very warm! This book's message can't be beat: kindness matters --- and we don't have to be perfect. In fact, none of us are! A quiet book for the younger MG crowd, and I can see it as a great read-aloud. Lots to discuss!





SEARCHING FOR SKY by Jillian Cantor. Great premise: Sky and her brother River have lived the majority of their childhoods on a island. When they are rescued and brought to California, everything changes. You can imagine! I enjoyed Sky's journey and found her believable and interesting.

THE MEANING OF MAGGIE by Megan Jean Sovern.
The author uses her real-life experience as a daughter of a father with MS to craft a tale about Maggie, who is such an enthusiastic narrator that I had to stop from time to time just to breathe. She's a funny girl, and it's an enjoyable read... and there's footnotes! Can't remember when (if ever) I've seen that in fiction. Fun. AND...Megan is a Georgia author! Hope to meet her in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Irene. I read Absolutely, Almost last week. The relationship between Albie and his college-student babysitter was my favorite part of the book. I loved the parts of Albie's personality that she helped nurture.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?