Friday, December 7, 2012

RECIPE FOR HAPPINESS

I was looking through all my cookbooks for a breakfast casserole recipe when I found this entry at the very back of a homemade cookbook that was assembled by Deb Dykes:

Recipe for Happiness

2 heaping cups of patience
1 heart, full of love
2 handfuls of generosity
plenty of faith
1 handful of understanding
dash of laughter
generous sprinkle of kindness

Combine patience, love and generosity with understanding. Add a dash of laughter and sprinkle generously with kindness. Add plenty of faith and mix well. Spread over a period of a lifetime. Serve everyone you meet.

Don't you love that last sentence?! Here's another recipe for happiness: visit poetry-goddess Robyn Hood Black for Poetry Friday Roundup!

8 comments:

  1. I love those kinds of poems, and one fun thing is introducing them to students, Irene. Most of my middle schoolers had never seen them, so delighted in writing their own "recipes". I do love that final line-exactly right! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Linda, I have been cooking A LOT lately -- seems to happen whenever I am writing a first draft of a novel. :) Recipe poems are fun and I can imagine an easy form with which to engage middle schoolers. Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's comfort food. Thanks for sharing, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try this idea with my middle schoolers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to be reminded of this type of poem, again! I agree, the last line is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need some of that for breakfast! Sweet poem, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect. Now I'm off the computer so I can make another couple of batches of candy!! 'Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely--for any meal of the day:>)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?