Monday, January 23, 2012

MOVIE MONDAY: THE ARTIST

Wow, I sorta can't believe I'm writing my third Movie Monday in a row. After what seems like months of ho-hum, three really good films!

Today, I want to tell you about THE ARTIST. It's a throwback film in black & white that begins in 1927 and progresses through the transition in Hollywood from silent film to talkies. And it manages to do a lot without ever saying a word. Here's what I got of out it:

1. Fear of change can ruin you life.
2. You CAN reinvent yourself. At any time, at any age, at any point in history.
3. Pride is just stupid. Let. People. Help. You.

Beautiful to watch -- I love all that exaggerated movement and facial expression required of actors during the silent era. And I love how the musical score is nearly like another actor on the set. And this film features Uggie! What a charmer.

Go see it! You won't be disappointed. And be looking for it to carry off a few nominations when they announce the Oscar contenders Tuesday morning!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Irene,

    This is funny because I am going to see the movie tomorrow night. It is always a pleasure to see this type of movies, the ones I call artistic!! It's more about the story, the acting, the picture, the music....

    Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I look forward to your thoughts about it! Definitely "artistic."

      Delete
  2. This movie looks wonderful -- I'm kind of out of touch with what's on these days, but this looks like a must-see. Thank you so much for this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's great about it, Beth, is that it's DIFFERENT. Definitely not the ho-hum or gross-out humor or treacly mess we see so much of these days. Hope you get a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by for the first time. Nice blog---the layout, content and everything. I haven't watched the movie but it did quite well at the Golden Globes. Maybe the Oscars will follow suit. Please feel free to drop by my blog if you wish. I'm working through rhyme as a poetic form. That ought to keep me busy through April or so....
    http://billkirkwrites.blogspot.com
    http://www.billkirkwrites.com

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?