Sunday, August 22, 2010

CLIMBING THE CITADEL

Have I mentioned before that my youngest son pretty much HATES to read? Yep. It's enough to break a book-loving mama's heart.

But. He LOVES to be read to. So I still read to him. Every night. And I have to tell you about his most favorite book from our summer reading: BANNER IN THE SKY.

Now I should say right up front that our actual mountain climbing experience is limited to a climbing wall at the mall AND this one time my rock climber brother took us to the Palisades near Oneonta, Alabama, where I slipped and dislocated my elbow. Rock Climbing Brother is also a nurse, so he bravely, miraculously popped the bone right back in place, but still. A pleasant memory this does not make.

But THIS time, we climbed from the comfort of Eric rock-n-roll bedroom. And it was awesome! We felt like were were on that Swiss mountain, breathing that thin air, searching for fingerholds with our poor bleeding fingers. There was adventure, conflict, danger, sweetness, everything.

And now son wants to do the real thing so badly that he spent his hard-earned summer money not on his original plan, but a new one: climbing rope, boots, gloves. And right now, as I type, he is drawing a picture of the Citadel. Fun!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome book. And did I see an award sticker on the cover? REmind me to tell you about our "family" rock climbing adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a great story and a great looking book. I hope he loves climbing "safely"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey I think Kane might like this book and who knows our boys might discover some new peak together in the future... tell Eric gently that Pride is not doing too well and might not be at the barn next time he visits. Nothing done yet but it's coming. I will miss that horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just picture your son gearing up. My boys like to read, but also love to be read to. This sounds like a great book for them/us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?