Friday, May 8, 2009

POETRY FRIDAY



So I've just joined the super-cool Kidlitosphere group, and they do several poetry things, one of which is Poetry Friday. Round up is here.

I have previously blogged my poems on SHOWCASE SUNDAY posts, but this group thing is so much more fun! So here's another of the historical women series that appears in EINSTEIN AT THE ODEON CAFE.



Available at Amazon and Reed Books and Churn Dash Press.

Abe Lincoln Speaks of Mary Todd

She’s bold as a blackberry, my Molly
and it’s true, I love her

but a man who grows up in the woods
knows a trap when he sees one

a man who’s spent whole days
chopping lumber knows pine splits

different from oak and you can’t
approach one the way you would the other.

A man who’s lived off the land
knows the cunning of fox,

the resourcefulness of bear.
As soon as she turned those sparkling

blue eyes from mine, I knew
the baby was a lie.

And that’s why tomorrow
I’m going to marry her:

she doesn’t know it, but I can
read her like I can name the track

of every animal native to Indiana.
I know where she’s been

and where she wants to take me.
A man who grows up in the woods

knows the wild will always be wild,
and love is not about taming.

- Irene Latham

3 comments:

  1. What a sharp, wise, and funny poem! I am on the lookout for your books now. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite lines are, "I can read her like I can name the track of every animal native to Indiana." Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! Love it. Anxious to read more of your poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?