Tuesday, August 5, 2008

MORE BOOKS

So when times are tough, what do you do to comfort yourself? As we've been riding the awful ups and downs of my father's cancer diagnosis, I have found myself doing one of three things:

Reading.
Writing.
Tidying.

It doesn't take a psychologist to figure out I am doing my best to feel my power or have some control during a time when ultimately I am powerless and have no control whatsoever. Whatever works, right?

Mostly I've been catching up on my son's required reading from last year. Yesterday it was The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper and The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (whose son and Newbery Award winner Paul Fleischman is coming to Birmingham in October!).

And just today I got my hands on a copy of Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I was sorry to miss all the big bookstore events celebrating the release last weekend, but this girl needs her sleep. I'll let you know what I think! Meanwhile I am avoiding any info. I want to experience what Bella experiences.

Thanks again to everyone who has sent me messages about my father. It really helps.

"Selling the piece is only and exclamation point, a spot of punctuation."

- Jane Yolen

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of Stephanie Meyer's books...I usually shy away from the hype..do you like them?

    I have been thinking of you and your dad...how are things going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend,

    I picked up Breaking Dawn a few days ago, but I haven't started it yet. I just finished reading The Condition, which was pretty good. I am looking forward to starting Breaking Dawn as it is the last book from Bella's perspective. Good to know that the series will continue, though!

    I wish I could give you some good tips about self-comfort. I totally get the reading thing. That is the one thing that I do to escape and I love it. I feel lonely without a good book. The tidying is rough for me because of my illness, but I do sometimes go on a cleaning binge when I am stressed. Do whatever feels right and stay away from anything that overwhelms you. You are going through a very tough time, and there is no right or wrong way to handle it.

    Big hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?