Saturday, July 5, 2008

NO DAY BUT TODAY


One of the shows we saw in New York was RENT. I don't know why exactly I wanted to see it again-- 12 years ago when we saw it the first time I wasn't sure I would survive the noise. Plus I was pregnant with Andrew, and every time those speakers would screech, he would start jumping. But when we were standing there in the TKTS line and the choices were getting slimmer (very few shows open on Monday -- would have liked to have seen WICKED, MAMMA MIA! or even PHANTOM OF THE OPERA for the billionth time), I heard myself say, "how 'bout Rent?"

So off we went. And it was better this time. Still too loud for me and seems a little outdated now, but I was moved by it and I'm glad we saw it again. According to the billboards and the graffiti covering the outside walls of the theater, the show closes for good on September 7. Check it out. And try to wrap your head around this quote:

"The opposite of war is not peace, it's creation."

- Jonathan Larson

1 comment:

  1. I loved Rent, but I tend to love all musical theater. You must see Wicked. Mamma Mia was cute, but I am sure the movie will do it justice. LOVED The Phantom. I cry every single time I see it.

    Glad that you had a fun time.

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?