Thursday, May 8, 2008

THOUSAND WORD THURSDAY


How cool is this pic? (Thanks, LTG!)

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon a great program for artists (or anyone) called The Private Eye. It involves looking at the world very closely with a jeweler's loupe. Then you start an inquiry process that is based in analogy: What does it look like? What else? What else? What else?

I use The Private Eye program as much as possible when I do school visits. One second grade class I worked with this year created amazing poems -- wait till you read! I will be posting their creations on my website very soon.

This tree bark looks like sand dunes to me, like hair floating in water, like a fingerprint. I love the way it seems to swirl and move. Imagine what it must be like to be an ant crossing this terrain! There is something about the change of perspective that gives the brain a workout and has the potential to really enhance our writing efforts.

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart..."

- William Wordsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?