Wednesday, April 9, 2008

LOVE LIFE BY RAY KLUUN

Last month a new glossy magazine appeared in our office -- called Lipstick. So I cracked it open and found a "Book Club" page where they were asking readers to check out Love Life by Ray Kluun. It's a memoir set in Holland about a guy who is chronically unfaithful, even as his wife is dying of breast cancer.

Intrigued?

Well. It's a bit of a train wreck. Atrocious writing in places. But the cancer parts were right on. And my curiosity demanded I stick with it long enough to see how it all ended up between Mr. Kluun and his wife and all these various other women.

In the end, I'm glad I read it. But I can't exactly recommend it. Know what I mean?

"If I had to give young writers advice, I would say don't listen to writers talking about writing or themselves."

-Lillian Hellman

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, not quite sure I would be able to put that one down either. Thanks for not exactly recommending it because I would have picked it up.

    Right now, I am reading, The Instruction, by Ainslie MacLeod, and A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle. Yes, I am in a "searching" mode. Sitting on my bed, I also have The Scalpel and the Soul ,by Dr. Allan Hamilton. And I also have a huge box of chocolate that my husband bought me. I might never get out of bed!

    Have a happy day, my friend!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb - searching mode is GOOD. Also chocolate. Love what's on your nightstand! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's on yours, Irene? Anything interesting?

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?