Sunday, March 9, 2008

ON ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION

Have you heard about the recent legislation in California requiring parents to be certified teachers in order to homeschool their children? As if one needs a degree to be an adequate teacher. As if one cannot educate oneself or one's children without a little piece of paper (or two or three).

This really bugs me. As a mom who has homeschooled her kids in the past and learned a thing or two about all the ways public education fails children, this really really bugs me. I applaud parents who choose to invest that much time and attention in their children. Studies of standardized test scores support the argument that these parents most often do a very good job. Why take away that freedom?

Next thing you know someone is going to be telling me I can't write books because I don't have a formal degree in writing. As if!

"If I had my life to live over again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."

- Tallulah Bankhead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?