Friday, March 21, 2008

CIRCLE OF LIFE

No matter how prepared you think you are, there are some things you just can't anticipate.

My mother-in-law died yesterday after suffering from liver cancer. And even though we knew it was coming... eventually... none of us was quite prepared for it coming yesterday, or for the overwhelming feeling of the finality of death.

So now my husband joins the ranks of all the other orphans of the world, those who have lost both their parents. And we continue to grieve and ask ourselves again and again all those unanswerable questions that come up in times like this.

We also linger in gratitude for the honor and privilege it has been to know and love this particular human so long and so well. She will always be with us, here in our hearts, where it matters most.

"The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men - from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms."

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

2 comments:

  1. I am truly sorry Irene...please share my condolences with your husband and family.

    You were blessed with an incredible mother in law...such a gift...and you are a wonderful person to have recognized it as that.

    Hugs and healing thoughts to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, dear heart,

    I am so very sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved Mother-in-law. I know that there are no words which can truly console, at this time, so please know that I am holding you, and your family very close in my heart and in my prayers. Please take comfort in the arms of those who come to surround you, tomorrow. Allow them to shoulder some small amount of your sorrow. Your Mother-in-law may be free from her body, but she is till present in spirit. You will feel her in the coming days, weeks and years. It will not be your imagination, so pay attention and do not dismiss the unusual. Be honored by her "visits". As someone told me after my brother died, take the next few weeks hour by hour.

    My prayers are with you and your family.

    With love and healing hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?