Tuesday, February 12, 2008

WHAT FEEDS YOU?

I've been thinking the past few days about this poem by Naomi Shihab Nye:

Hidden

If you place a fern
under a stone
the next day it will be
nearly invisible
as if the stone has
swallowed it.

If you tuck the name of a loved one
under your tongue too long
without speaking it
it becomes blood
sigh
the little sucked-in breath of air
hiding everywhere
beneath your words.

No one sees
the fuel that feeds you.


How true is that?? Each of us has something that keeps us getting up in the mornings and helps us be the people we want to be. No one else has to know what it is so long as you know.


"I love living. I have a home on a river in Nova Scotia and I watch the water coming and going. Being a poet is not a choice. It is a way of life. It comes to me like the water, from some invisible well or source."

- Joanna Harris

4 comments:

  1. I've "lurked" around your blogs for a while now and thoroughly enjoy your work. I thought you might enjoy reading this www.thepioneerwoman.com. Talk about someone who is living out loud, loves her kids and life in general. This is what made me think of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,

    Very interesting poem. I really like it.

    I hope that you are doing well!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous, thanks for lurking. :) I love the Pioneer Woman! I'm honored you thought of me.
    And Deb, glad you like the poem. Sweet of you to stop by. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a very thought provoking poem. you are right, we all have our small demons and sometimes we are able to conceal them so well, people are shocked when they get reveiled. words that make you ponder life!!

    I am so sorry about your mother in law...you said it so poetically - Cancer sucks...and it Bites the big one!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?